Click here to visit the most complete Maltese site on the WWW

SomeHouseplants + Maltese = Danger

Most people don't know that many houseplants are toxic to their Maltese. There should be a law requiring a warning label on all plants that contain poison, but to my knowledge this is not the case. Houseplants are frequently ingested by small children and animals.

There are things you can do to prevent this from happening.

Here is a listing of some of the more common Toxic & Non-Toxic plants that may be in or around your home.




African Violet

Arrowhead Plant

Aloe Vera


Corn Plant

Candelabra Cactus

Ferns (all types)

Crown Of Thorns

Jade Plant


Palms most types



Eucalyptus dried

Spider Plant

Jerusalem Cherry

Swedish Ivy

Peace Lilly

Wandering Jew

Pencil Cactus

Hawaiian Ti Plant

Philodendron ALL types

Silver Queen

Pothos/Devils Ivy

Monkey Plant

Rosary Pearls

Umbrella tree


Christmas Cactus

If a poisoning should occur:
It may be necessary to induce vomiting. Call poison control and your veterinarian immediately. If it is necessary to induce vomiting, give one to two teaspoons of hydrogen poroxide orally.