Click here to visit the most complete Maltese site on the WWW
Please bear in mind when reading topics pertaining to health issues, that most of these questions were answered by helpful Maltese owners with no formal education in veterinary medicine. When in doubt seek a professionals advise.
Archived Message

Allergic to Maltese?
by Val
Alergic to Maltese? I have had my Maltese for about 2 weeks now and he is great. The only problem is that both me and my wife have been really stuffed up over the past few weeks and we suspect it is the dog. One of the reasons we chose a Maltese is because we were told it was non-alergenic. I am really concerned since the last thing I want to do is have to get rid of him, but if that is the case, I'd rather do it now rather than in the future since every day I have him we get more and more attached to it. Please let me know if there is anything I can do so that I can keep him.


Hi Val. Are you and your wife both allergic to dogs? The reason I ask this is because if only one of you is allergic and your both stuffed up it may be an irritant-not an allergy. Have you given the dog a bath since you had him? If so, it could be the shampoo and/or conditioner you used. If you haven't bathed him yet-maybe it's something on the dog's hair and not the dog. Are you using a flea powder or product on the dog? If you are it could even be from that. Maybe you can check these possibilities out first before you think it's the dog himself. As far as Maltese being non-allergenic dogs-there is a lot of controversy about which dogs are and which dogs are not allergenic. Only you will know by how you feel. Maybe consult an allergist about this because there are a number of things you can do to decrease the allergen on the dog. A product called "Allerpet" exists as well as many others along those lines. Explore all your possibilities before you sell your baby. I'm sure you'll be able to make a decision that will work out best for you and for the pup. Good Luck!

Val, could it be a cold coming on or allergies because of the weather. I would definately check with your allergist. The Maltese is noted for its long silky, coat referred to as a single coat, meaning like human hair, it has no soft, downy undercoat. You don't have the dog dander like other dogs. A friend of mine is deathly allergic to dogs but he has a Maltese. He keeps him bathed every two weeks. I really hate to see you have to give up your baby. These little guys/gals are such a pleasure to have. Good Luck.
Libby & Buster
Again, there is no such thing as a non-allergenic dog.. but it seems that many people have less problems with their allergies with a Maltese than with other dogs. There was a long discussion on this a while back, look through the archives. I agree with Angel's suggestions that you try to find out exactly what you are allergic to. One other suggestion, is there a way you could maybe have a friend or someone take him for a week or two, clean out your house thoroughly, and see if your symptoms go away? I also suggest talking to your doctor. One thing to consider though, it may be that as the puppy ages, the allergies could get worse, or better.. its something to think about before you get too attached.

Copyright 1998 © Jay Bianco All rights reserved.