I feel every dog is different. If he/she is able to eat dry food on its own or not and also how long it has been weaned from its mother. The size is another factor.
If you feel more comfortable in waiting, ask the breeder who
you to hold the pup for a few more weeks. If he/she is as
responsible as you say, they should have no problem doing that
for you. Hope everything works out.
I will not say that an eight week pup is too young to go to a new home - I will insist that a twelve week pup is so much MORE prepared to go to a new home that we will not do otherwise, ourselves.
I agree with Jay, if the breeder will not accept a deposit to hold
the dog for you for another month then I'd examine their "real
intentions". If the welfare of the pup and the match for it into a
new home is not the breeder's primary concern then they are
approaching all of this from the wrong angle.
Larry Stanberry - Divine Maltese